Rebecca is a musician, artist and educator. She produces audio works, performances, site-specific installations, film scores, broadcasts and publications.
Across all of these forms, location is an important consideration, as are the relationships between experiential, cognitive and cultural understandings of sound and musical materials. Using field recordings, compositions, archive materials and materials that are generated socially, she brings attention to a spectrum of listening forms and contexts. Her projects often develop through research and involve other people and communities.
Musically, she is interested in improvisation, working with field recordings, site-specific composition/performance, decision-making and exploring the ideas, collaboration and communication between “professional” and “amateur” music makings. Rebecca gained an MA Music (with performance) at Nottingham University, studying with Robert Adlington, Dan Grimley and Carla Rees. She has also performed with various ensembles including the Standard Hill viol consort, Los Grecos, The Rosa Trio, Rarescale Flute Academy and in 2014/15, a series of concerts with Samuel Rodgers.
Rebecca is an associate artist with Fermynwoods Contemporary Art.
Projects and Commissions [Selected]
- The Heavy Note, commissioned for Resounding in the Museum, project with University of Nottingham & Nottingham Museums
- If the bell rings we will hear it, developmental project & 6 date tour, Oxford, Nottingham, Lincoln, Bristol, Fishguard, London
- The Listening Room, FON Festival, Barrow in Furnes
- Song Sung When, Dangerous Discoveries, Biddulph Grange, National Trust, Staffordshire.
- The Expanded Studio Project, Primary, Nottingham & Aid and Abet, Cambridge [with Caroline Wright].
- Outside Broadcast, 6 radio documentaries broadcast on line and on local radio, Transported.
- From Gardening through to Clouds, audio documentary and 48.4 piece, Transported.
- Appropriated Instructions, The Broadcaster, Lincolnshire
- Timestreams [with Active Ingredient], Barracao Maravilha, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Great Chorus, Fermywoods Contemporary Art.
- Performer for Otobong Nkanga’s Taste of a Stone, Nottingham Contemporary
- The Element Resists, with Samuel Rodgers, at V22 SUMMER CLUB // SOUND (Soundfjord & These Feathers have Plumes)
- Various, Exotica Suite CD and LP [with Wayne Burrows and Paul Isherwood]
- Accession Songs, Active listening event at SYSON
- Duo with Samuel Rogers, Oxford Improvisers, the Old Fire Station, Oxford and Rammel Club, Chamaleon Nottingham
- Plain, Shift, Plane, off-site commission [with Jack Harris], Curatin Sound, Nottingham Contemporary.
- Haptic Resonances…, [with Jack Harris and Samuel Rogers], Primary
- Production Line, Wasteland Twinning, The Island, Nottingham.
- Summer Lodge, Nottingham Trent University
- The Drawing Board curated by Michael Pinchbeck
- Spare Room Residency, SYSON, Nottingham
- Sowing Seeds Residency, Fermynwoods Contemporary Art [with Vidha Saumya, Mumbai]
Education & Facilitation [Selected]
- Field Recording, workshop and talk, Octopus Collective, Barrow in Furness
- Sound Design, workshops, YARD Youth Theatre Group, New Art Exchange
- Relate, Active Ingredient, communities’ producer, delivering International Schools exchange
- Visiting Lecturer, Department of Music, University of Nottingham.
- Walkshop, Fermynwoods Contemporary Art, Encounters programme.