Taking as a starting point traditional labour-intensive production processes involving repetitive movements of hand and body, Christine Stevens explores haptic and gestural residues in contemporary culture. Her work often builds on connections between craft practices and contemporary Fine Art. Typically, Stevens uses sculptural installations and moving image in her investigations of materiality and embodiment. She has developed a particular interest in clay as a contemporary Fine Art medium.
As both, artist and Gestalt psychotherapist, Stevens experiments with cross-disciplinary activities which focus on the experiential and the participative. This involves facilitating groups experimenting with making as a means of self-recognising, inter-relating and responding.
Christine is interested in the interdisciplinary dialogue between visual arts and mental health.
She works in various media including video, clay, drawing and print. As an artist, she is interested in making as a process which engages us with the material world and makes us more aware of ourselves in the process.
Christine is in charge of the Clay Studio at Primary. The Clay Studio runs regular workshops and drop-in sessions throughout the year. Contact Christine at ku.oc1571161992.mahg1571161992nitto1571161992noidu1571161992tsyal1571161992c@eni1571161992tsirh1571161992c1571161992 or 07826 915161 for upcoming dates and further information.
Exhibitions and Residencies [Selected]
In return, SIA Gallery, Sheffield.
- The Big Pot Project. Residency as part of Returns.
- Returns. Bonington Gallery, Nottingham.
- Graduate Residency. Art House, Wakefield.
- Graduate Residency. Surface Gallery, Nottingham.
- Arrivals. Container in EM14. Surface Gallery, Nottingham.
- Bodying Forth. NTU Fine Aart 2014 Degree Show.
- Topographies of the Obsolete. Residency at Spode, Stoke-on-Trent.
Topographies of the Obsolete in Exploring the site-specific and Associated Histories of Post-Industry. Organised by Bergen Academy of Art and Design and NTU. Research practice Project.
Professional Activities [Selected]
- The Parts and the Whole. Facilitator. Workshop using clay at UK Association of Gestalt Practitioners Conference, UoN.
- Attention: Detail symposium. Invited Presenter. Part of Summer Lodge at NTU.
- Clay and sand tray in therapy practice workshop. Facilitator. Gestalt Training Institute, Kaunas, Lithuania.
Mrs Rick’s Cupboard: Primary Colours, Bobby Sayers.