b.1982, Brighton, England
Bruce’s broad work encompasses performance, painting, clothing, social media, computer games, and a multitude of collaborations.
He has recently developed projects and exhibitions include, Bruce Asbestos A/W 2018 Collection at Nottingham Contemporary, an Arts Council International Fund project to NYC and Philadelphia, Bruce Asbestos A-B Testing, Concrete, Hayward Gallery, London. MTN DEW, Commission by EM15 for ‘Sunscreen’, Venice Biennale. Ivan Poe, Plymouth Art Weekender (Main commission as ‘Reactor’.)
Bruce Asbestos’ A/W Collection draws on his international research into textiles at the MET and The Fashion Institute (FIT) in NYC and the Philadelphia Museum and the ideas for the outfits are generated from the surreal elements of European folk tales; such as the house of sweets in Hansel & Gretel.
During Studying Fine Art BA at Nottingham Trent University, he completed a five-month scholarship at Musashino University, Tokyo. He has curated exhibitions at Stand Assembly / One Thoresby Street, Moot Gallery, My House Gallery and currently at Trade Gallery.
He completed his MA in Fine Art at Nottingham Trent University, during which he completed a two month scholarship at RMIT University in Melbourne, Australia. Over the last 10 years he has worked with a range of established organisations including: Wysing Art Centre (Cambridge) Nottingham Contemporary, Outpost (Norwich), Horatio Jr, (London), Embassy (Edinburgh) and Kunst en Complex (Rotterdam).
He was nominated for £300,000 Paul Hamlyn Breakthrough Fund.
“This is Art for the social media age” The Stylist
“Maybe Asbestos is playing the role of spectator and is waiting to see what the Internet will make of the extreme quantity of work” VICE
Selected Residencies, Works and Exhibitions:
|2015||Bruce Asbestos A/B Testing, Concrete, Hayward Gallery, London|
|2014||- Social Media Takeaway Series Two, Bangkok, online
- Is There WIFI? Cedar Lewisohn’s project space, London
|2013||Cardinal Keith O’Brien, Nottingham Contemporary|
|2015||- MTN DEW, Commission by EM15 for ‘Sunscreen’, Venice Biennale
- Faux Sho, curated by It’s All Tropical, Assembly House, Leeds
- FR€€ ₮HI₦G$, curated by Jack Fisher at STCFTHOTS, Leeds
- Dear Thoughtful, Charming Reader n0.4, HOAX Publication
|2014||- A Union of Voices, curated by Tim Ellis, Horatio Junior, London
- Sailor King, The King William IV, Nottingham
- OTS/BLK, New College, Nottingham / Bergen
- Mexico Members Exhibition, Leeds
- Wysing Art Centre 25 Years, Publication
|2013||- Social Media Takeaway (13 Episodes) Derby Museum and Gallery, Derby
- Out of this World, Syson Gallery, Nottingham
- Embassy Annuale, Telfer Gallery, Edinburgh
- Talbot Rice Gallery, Edinburgh
- LANparty,Two Queens, Leicester
|2012||- Reactor’s Function 6, Primary, Nottingham
- Circle of Transcendence , Derby Museum and Gallery, Derby
- Nottingham Trent MA Degree Show, Nottingham
- Circle of Transcendence, RMIT, Melbourne, Australia
- Open Ended Ending, Death Trap, Reactor Towers, Nottingham
- Bruce Asbestos and John Harris, OTS, Nottingham
“This is Art for the social media age” - The Stylist, Emerald Street
“Maybe Asbestos is playing the role of spectator and is waiting to see what the Internet will make of the extreme quantity of work” – VICE, The Creators Project
“The Asbestos website promises that the displays will be changed to reflect the public response to the show. If so, how will he deal with people behaving as if the café telly is on the blink? “ – Mark Lawson, New Statesman
“Bruce Asbestos experiments with internet presence and social media to explore ideas of marketing and monitoring” – Aesthetica Magazine
“Cheeky Digital Artist Bruce Asbestos” - Double Negative
“Colourful bursts of internet carnage” – FAD Website